Monday, April 18, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away

It seems like Mother Nature is taking over on campus, thwarting plans and outfits everywhere. The amount of rain that GW students have had to deal with in just the first month of spring has been a bit overwhelming. Even GW Program Board's annual Spring Fling, an event that is focused around an outdoor concert, had to be moved inside due to this past weekend's April showers.

"Every year, spring arrives and everyone just wants to be outside," sophomore Lindsay Kelly said. "But what people seem to forget is that there is usually one day of nice weather for every five days of rain."

Not only have this spring's frequent showers affected outdoor activities, but they are taking a toll on students' fashion choices.

"When I wake up and have to go to class in the rain, I don't really care what I wear, especially because it will probably just get wet," Kelly said.

Well, here's a few ways to stay dry while looking fly this season.

The key to rainy day gear is to have the few essential items that are functional to keep you dry, and then you can wear whatever you want! My suggestion is to invest in a really great trench coat. Rather than a generic looking Northface rain jacket, a trench coat looks more put together.

Best of all, a trench can be worn over anything, and is long enough to keep your pants dry.

"I'm not really sure what I would do without my trench," junior Michelle Jakinski said. "I probably wear it every single day when the weather is a bit bleak."

The second key essential is a great pair of Wellies, or rainboots. GW students have gotten this one right, as Hunter rainboots can be seen all over campus in every color of the rainbow.


"I think rainboots were one of the first purchases I made when I came to D.C.," freshman Maria Duper said. "I promise you, they are worth every penny!"

J.Crew has some great rainboot choices, as well as Target, if you're looking for a lower price point. Wear these with some thick socks, and your feet will stay toasty and dry all the live long day.

Last, but certainly not least, a well-accesorized GW student MUST invest in a good umbrella. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted buying $15 umbrellas from street corner vendors that break in a matter of seconds when exposed to the DC city winds.

"My favorite umbrella is this bubble one my mom got me for Hannukah," freshman Justin Weinberg said. "It looks so stupid, yes, but it keeps me, my stuff, and even the guy next to me incredibly dry."

So spend a few extra bucks and invest in a good umbrella. Don't try to find the smallest one you can, they are normally the flimsiest. You can find quality umbrellas at department stores, and even designers if you're looking to get a bit fancy.

If you stock your closet with these three items, you'll be sure to stay dry and look fresh as a spring dew droplet in no time. Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment